In this article:
1. The Medical Qìgōng exercise "Pulling Down Heavens."
3. Practice video.
Welcome! Thank you for visiting.
"Pulling Down Heavens" is one of the most popular Qìgōng exercises. This exercise usually begins and completes most Qìgōng exercise practices. As my students and private clients know, I believe that understanding core principles is essential to developing a substantial and accessible foundation.
"Our practice is about the refinement within ourselves… mastering a technique is not the main goal, it is about time spent with our inner most selves that creates lasting shifts." ~ maria furlano.
Functions & Benefits
1. "Pulling Down Heavens" used as a purgation for the body, mind & emotions:
Eliminates stagnant & toxic energy.
Unclogs channels & collaterals.
Can be used with specific Medical Qigong Sound therapy to redirect rebellious energy (Qì) from "Liver Fire or Heart Fire" downward.
2. "Pulling Down Heavens" used as a tonification for the body, mind & emotions:
Used to gather & store excess energy (Qì) in the Lower Dantian.
Used to regulate the energy (Qì) in the Microcosmic Orbit, after doing other Qìgōng exercises.
Used to wash the bones &transform the marrow.Resources:
Johnson, Jerry Alan. Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy Volume 1: Energetic Anatomy and Physiology. California: The International Institute of Medical Qigong, 2002.
Johnson, Jerry Alan. Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy Volume 4: Prescription Exercises and Meditations, Treatment of Internal Diseases, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Neurology and Energetic Psychology. California: The International Institute of Medical Qigong, 2002.
Time given in our daily practice, is respect given to ourselves. [tweet this quote].
Posture, Breath & Intention
Please note that in formal Qigong training there are 18 rules of posture (meaning 18 specific postural adjustments that take place). A qualified instructor is important to learn these properly.
For the purpose of this relaxing and clearing practice, please follow the basic principles belows.
Your Posture (in very basic terms)
1. Spine elongated
2. Feet face foward / your shoulder or hip width apart.
3. Your knees are soft & relaxed.
1. Breath slowly and fully from your belly.
2. Keep your shoulders and chest relaxed and allow your diaphragm to engage with every movement.
3. Take a complete breath in between each section. This allows your energy to settle naturally.
(1) Guiding the energy down the front of your body.
(2) Guiding the energy through the center of your body.
(3) Guiding the energy down the back of your body.
3 times = One set.
I hope you will gain benefit and enjoy this practice video.
Remember, if 3 sets is too long for you at this time, begin with one set and build up.
Let me know your experiences!
How do you quiet your mind, and refresh? Please leave your insights below.